Friday, March 26, 2010

365 Cards Day 26

(I had to take a few days off crafting to rest my hands... I'll try to get back to Days 24/25 when I can.)

Today's challenge is to use a 'recipe' to make your card. You have to use the following elements AND NO EXTRAS:
  •  5x5 card
  • 3 circles
  • 2 squares
  • ribbon
  • sentiment of your choice
I never make square cards because they need special envelopes and take up too much room in the OWH mailing boxes, so this is a first. A friend lost her husband to brain cancer last weekend, so I decided to make her the card nobody ever wants to have to make... my challenge was to follow the recipe and to make a card as beautiful as I could in tribute to Rob.
The recipe said you had to use ribbon but it didn't say what you had to do with it, so I tried my hand at ribbon embroidery. I've never done this before but I found a tutorial on basic ribbon embroidery stitches which makes it all very simple, and it really wasn't as hard as it looks. I used the narrowest ribbon for the flowers and a wider one for the leaves because I didn't have the right colour green in the skinny one. The wider ribbon looks good but it was MUCH harder to get it through the cardstock. If you want to try this, use a tiny hole punch to make the holes in the center of the flowers (I used my cropodile) and make sure you're using sturdy cardstock because it's going to get pretty beat-up before you're finished.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Super cute - love how you did your ribbon with the flowers and the leaves!

TesaB said...

Beautiful sympathy card, the embrodery is wonderful. Never seen that before, and it's really great!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card, it is so soft and perfect for a sympathy card, those are sooo hard to do!!!

Teresa said...

beautiful work with the ribbons, and this made a very beautiful card.