Tuesday, March 23, 2010

365 Cards Day 22/23

Yesterday's challenge was to make a card inspired by Alice in Wonderland. I've actively avoided any version of it other than the Disney cartoon of my childhood, so I have no clue about the new movie and no interest either. I found some really sweet Alice in Wonderland clipart online at Disneyclips.com and I made an abortive effort to paper-piece a sleeping Alice... alas it was a total disaster and I had to trash it.  My cutting skills just weren't up to the job of aligning the edges and Alice came out looking like a giant mutant space alien! (no I didn't scan/photograph my disaster... use your imagination! But you'd be better off just using the clip on the left. I still think it would make a lovely card - I'm just not clever enough to pull it off, and I'm out of coloured ink for the printer...)
Time for something simpler... I had some cute teacup stickers a friend gave me - there was a tea party in Alice in Wonderland. How about a simple girly tea-party card? The sticker was too elaborate to be a small part of another card, but not quite large enough to carry the design by itself, so I made a punched border and stamped a little edge.   The white layer is on the front of the card and the pink is the back. It needed a little more 'bling' so I used some pink plastic jewels on the border and I'm very happy with it.
Today's challenge was more up my alley - make a card using a stencil. I don't use them often but I've got  ton of stencils!  I dragged out a birthday stencil and made myself a card. I added a sentiment from my stamped image box... and it needed a little something extra. I dug around in my embellishment box and found a tassle I made for a Christmas card and didn't use, and I hung it off a star brad.

7 comments:

♥ Audrey ♥ said...

Great use of the birthday cake stencil! Lovely card. Great card. Luv the patterned paper! Thanx for playing at 365 Cards.

Ladies Prayer Group said...

Love the tea cup stickers. Your card is very sweet!

♥Jan♥ said...

Both cards are darling ! The teacups are so perfect for the theme, wish I had thought of that, I skipped the whole challenge because nothing cute came to mind. Great job !

grandmalee said...

Your cards are so creative & eye popping! I adore what you did this weekend after the OWH bloghop! You really took on the challenges! Congrats on winning some of the blog candy offered during the hop! You really desrve it!

jjcreations said...

Oh my, my, my I love those tea cups!!! Perfectly awesome for that challenge. Great stencil card too.

Melanie said...

Sweet cards - I really love the tea cups and the edge punch you used. The colors are very stunning!

Gloria Stengel said...

The teacups are fabbie. I am not much of a paper piecer either, sadly. LOL Thanks for playing at 365 Cards.