Thursday, December 10, 2009

12 Tags of Christmas Day 2

Working on down the line... Tim's tag for day two is relatively simple at first glance. He's stippled a coloured background over the top of an embossed frame (embossed with distress ink so that it's ragged-looking), but he's finished it with a gorgeous handmade metal flower and little metal page corners.

Here are his instructions.

My version of his tag is somewhat simpler. For starters I don't have anything that could approximate his flower so I didn't try. I used a sequin flower and leaf instead. And I don't have a 'frame' stamp to use, but I DO have some silver sticker frames... so I used one of them instead and embellished the tag with silver instead of gold. Stippling the background was easy... I grabbed about five different stamp pads and blended the ink on the tag with the stippling brush until I liked the way they looked. Then I stamped the greeting and put the silver frame over the top (it just fitted). And then I grabbed a paintbrush and made a hideous mess of my desk stippling the tag with silver. Paint flecks spray EVERYWHERE except where you want them to go! I ended up getting a little carried away with the paint and I made a few smears where the paint blobbed on and I had to wipe some of it off, but we'll just call them rustic accents, shall we?! As Tim Holtz tags go this one's super-simple... it only took me 30 minutes from start to finish, and if I'd had the proper tools it wouldn't have taken much longer. The next tag I attempted today took three whole hours!

1 comment:

Lyneen said...

Another amazing tag from Tim's inspiration tag. Great idea to use the frame!